Dounreay Nuclear Power Station, situated approximately
9 miles (14.5 km) west of Thurso.
Dounreay opened in 1955 and over the next 20 years three
reactors were built, the most famous being the Dounreay
Fast Reactor (The Dome). To left of the Dome the Prototype
Fast Reactor is situated and to the right of the Dome
the Dounreay Materials Test Reactor.
All three are now closed and are being decommissioned.